LOVE at the Red Earth

Red is the color for love. It is the 2nd most common color of people around the world and blue is the first choice and my favorite. It is the color of blood exposed to oxygen. It's a visible sign of a wound infection. The color of eyes crying because of pain. It is also the new color of Heather's hair and Michelle G favorite lipstick who introduced me to medical missions 10 years ago. Here in Cameroon especially in the villages the dirt is red. There is a scientific explanation for the red soil; it is laterite a clay mixture of iron and aluminum that forms over long periods of time by the heavy rainfalls and the hot temperature. I see cornfields everywhere,
 starchy vegetables and exotic fruits that I can peel and eat. This red soil is fertile.
This has been an adventurous mission in the towns and villages in Cameroon Africa. Treacherous roads filled with craters and no paint on speed bumps. Many of the roads in the villages you have two options either travel by foot or on dirt bikes. Dexterity and balance is needed to climb hills  and walk on rocks. These and other challenges
(especially the lack of medical supplies) is a part of my life as a nurse missionary.  This 2nd call in my life as a compassionate messenger of Jesus has awaken my soul to the basic and medical needs of people throughout the world. I am not a saint every day. I have fears! I get up not knowing who I am going to meet and what to expect in the hospitals and clinics that I am serving in. Yes, I am crazy but add Holy in front of the word.  Sublime audacity in the mission field is necessary. God always has a way to provide someone to usher you into His presence whenever you are on a mission that seems impossible to you and the spectators. The power of two is truly amazing you become each other's witness of God's handiwork!
Dr. Harrison Ndetan, a professor at Parker University and biostatistician with a masters in Public Health is now my covenant brother. We met within 48hrs after being here at a gas station waiting for our rides to take us to different hospitals. He is truly an amazing man of God. We talk the same way and have the same mind set. He is making plans for next month to introduce me to his wife and 2 children when they visit Columbus, Ohio to checkout the supplies. Harrison had his 2nd call in an ICU as a chaplain with a dieing patient and chose to become a physician. He is in Buea as a 3rd year medical student to complete his tropical medicine rotation for a month. He has been the link to a respectable foundation that has orphanages and a hospital. In addition, Dr. Atanga, an OB/GYN who is publishing data on HIV+ mothers breastfeeding and the medication treatment of 6000 young HIV+ patients. We are all working together to bring supplies including water pumps to the villages that have no water before the year ends.
For example we experienced a miracle with Dr. Chuwunga, the retired health delegate of Buea has not put down his gloves as a general surgeon. Ruti calls him the doctor with ultrasonic fingers and grandpa like everyone in OR team. There are no ultrasounds here and only through palpitation he saved a 12yr old girl from dieing. Basically what was thought to be an umbilical hernia repair became an exploratory lap in which he discovers an softball size abscess. Dr. Chuwunga, is the first surgeon that I discovered who prays before operating on patients by placing his hands on the site and the staff in reverence listens to him and says amen. He is focused and has a great sense of humor.
Truly here on the red earth I have a loving family that will help me distribute the blessings from Central Ohio to those in need. A 40 ft container can save the villages, improve the quality of care of 3 hospitals and bring clothes and toys to the children. The children have my heart it takes them 5 mins to understand the love story of the cross. It is the foundation of why people like Harrison and myself respond to a second call,  accept the love of God and share it with everyone else! No matter where the Lord sends me I choose to serve him with LOVE.  It brings joy and laughter to those who are hurting and unites strangers to eternity. I love the RED EARTH and my new friends and family Love me. AGAPE from the Red Earth land of my ancestors that is fertile w/Love.

Comments

Lovely Street Sister, Ukraine's Uncrippling Love, Love Letter Hits the Airways