Jungle lifestyle

It has been an adventurous first 7 days living in the Peten. Assimilating to the lifestyle everyone is late maybe it's the hot climate. I am amazed to see people working the fields and kids playing. Daily Hospital Shalom has power outrages and has back up generators. Not much AC it is dark for the most part to keep the place cool.  No IV pumps. The OR is always cool. In the last 2 days I have been organizing supplies before assuming my role on the 15th. I have to pick my battles. This is not the US. Infection Control is a priority out of the long lists of things to do. My prayers since yesterday starts with JESUS HELP! The doctors are a hoot here. They have embraced me with the goodies brought from Nationwide Children's Hospital. I want to thank DaiWei, Nicole, Laura, Andrew, Angela and many others. Special thanks to Ralph, Sandy, Stephanie, prayer team and donors who have been a blessing to my life.
Today, I met with Ricardo, one of the surgeons and Romeo the surgery tech and gave them the donated surgical supplies they were happy. He showed me 2 Radial Artery catheter lines used for PICC lines they had bought. They were dated from 2011 and re-sterilized by gas. The ones I had brought expired last month. Ricardo was excited with the chest-tubes now the OR and ER several of them.
The missionary lifestyle is a separate blog. I am happy to be surrounded by a wonderful group of missionaries. My journey is definitely a lonely one with Jesus Christ. I am reminded every day I am being prayed for. I have felt hopeless on several occasions. However the birth of these 2 little precious angels give me hope and a reminder of new beginnings every day. I witnessed one of them. In the midst of the chaos there is still  hope and peace in the Peten.

Comments

Lovely Street Sister, Ukraine's Uncrippling Love, Love Letter Hits the Airways